Develops and maintains effective relationships with others; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and in different situations; shows understanding, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness.
- Relates to people in an open, friendly, and professional manner.
- Cooperates and works to gain support and commitment from others when performing tasks.
- Discusses subjects in a constructive manner, with all levels of staff.
- Fosters cooperation, collaboration, and communication to facilitate consensus and accomplish tasks.
- Demonstrates diplomacy by approaching others about sensitive issues in non-threatening ways.
- Fosters an environment conducive to open, transparent communications among all levels.
- Notices and accurately interprets what others are feeling, based on their word choices, voice tones, facial expressions, and other nonverbal behavior.
- Presents oneself in a professional manner to maintain image and credibility.
Recommended Training for Interpersonal Relations
Program/Course Title & Info
Leadership Skills for Non-supervisors (1017)
Managing Up Communicating with Your Boss (1019)
Emotional Intelligence for Leaders (9411)
Note: Additional free SkillSoft classes may be available for this competency in the HHS Learning Management System .