Skip Navigation

Benefits - For Former NIH Federal Employees

Record of Employment

Employment verifications for mortgages, loans, or other purposes are processed by the NIH Records Management Center.

Obtaining a Copy of Your Personnel Records SF-50

If you left NIH more than 3-4 months ago and are no longer a government employee, NIH should not still have this document. Since you left the federal government, your folder will have been sent to a central archive facility run by the National Archives. To request a copy of your Official Personnel Folder (OPF), you should contact the National Archives. The National Archives Official Personnel Folder (OPF) External Web Site Disclaimer  page will give you guidance for obtaining a copy of your OPF.

If you transferred to another government agency, the contents of your eOPF are printed and then reconciled with the hardcopy OPF. The hardcopy OPF is sent to the gaining agency. Your eOPF remains in the system and is deactivate 90 days from the date of separation from the previous agency.

Obtaining a Copy of a Prior Year's W-2

A duplicate copy of the prior year’s W-2 may be requested by submitting the

Request for Duplicate, Corrected or Prior Year W-2, Wage and Tax Statement Form .docx icon to the Benefits and Payroll Liaison Branch (BPLB) located in Building 31, Room B3C23. You must indicate on the form whether you want a duplicate W-2 from the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) or the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) or both. Your request will then be forwarded to DHHS for processing. Please make sure that the current address and the address to which the W-2 should be sent is correct on the form.

Retirement - Benefits Upon Separation

Links with information on benefits upon separation.

Leave Transfer

Once the action is processed in Capital HR, the Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) will create the SF-1150 (Record of Leave Transfer). The SF-1150 is sent to the NIH File Room, who will then send it on to the gaining agency. Contact the NIH File Room at 301-496-3361.

Jobs @ NIH

Looking to become a part of the NIH community again? Visit the Jobs @ NIH page for more information.

Former NIH Fellows

Employment Verifications for Fellows

If you were a former fellow, please contact the appropriate supervisor or Administrative Officer (AO) for immediate verbal verification.

Forms 1042S, 1099G, 1099

NIH Visiting Fellows usually receive their Form 1042S for the prior year by the end of February. If you have not yet received your Form 1042S, then please contact the Office of Financial Management (OFM) at (301) 496-5635. Individuals who need a Form 1099G can also use that number.

For requesting the Form 1099, please call OFM Customer Service at (301) 496-6088.

This page was last reviewed on