HHS Careers at NIH
In conjunction with our parent agency, the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), the NIH uses an automated recruitment system, HHS Careers, to assist the Office of Human Resources (OHR) in delivering streamlined recruitment services and products to managers and administrators involved in the hiring process. The primary goal of the HHS Careers system is to support the NIH OHR mission "to recruit and retain a highly skilled and diverse workforce for the NIH."
HHS Careers allows qualified candidates to be identified and certified to hiring managers quickly, which is a competitive advantage for the NIH. In today's environment, the best applicants for scientific, technical and professional careers may not be willing to wait 3 -6 months for employment offers. HHS Careers also supports the hiring reform goals set forth by governing bodies such as the Executive Office of the President (EOP), the Office of Personnel Management (OPM), and the DHHS.
OPM's USA Staffing system serves as the HHS Careers platform. The USA Staffing system provides a core system for HR staff. In addition, USA Staffing provides modules used by Hiring Managers (the “Selection Manager” system) and Applicants (the “Application Manager” system). Each module has a look and feel that is sharp and user-friendly!
Below are some of the ways in which HHS Careers supports the hiring process at the NIH.
HR Professionals can:
- Quickly create and post vacancy announcements to meet the demands of hiring needs
- Utilize pre-formatted assessments relevant to the job description and job analysis. This ensures candidates are asked the appropriate questions in order to obtain the best applicant pool. These pre-formatted assessments are created by a senior team of HR professionals and subject matter experts.
- Analyze applicant competencies and qualifications
- Produce and easily update certificates of eligibles
- Notify applicants throughout the stages of the recruitment and selection process
- Manage applicant records
Hiring Managers can:
- Recruit and select job applicants in a fast and strategic manner providing them a competitive advantage
- Easily access certificates of eligibles
- Review and print applicant resumes and question responses
- Respond to position-specific assessments (questionnaires) that, along with their resumes, help demonstrate their possession of the knowledge, skills, and ability required to successfully perform the duties of the job
- Manage their application(s) by being able to upload documents up to the time vacancy announcement closes
- Receive notifications to stay abreast of where they are in the recruitment and selection process